Do you have proven experience in the nonprofit sector and want to learn about media development and donors? This job could be for you.
The Bhekisisa Centre for Health Journalism is an independent media organisation that specialises in solutions journalism, which is journalism that critically evaluates tried-out solutions or responses to social problems. Our stories are distributed through News24, the Daily Maverick, Financial Mail and the Mail & Guardian and reach policymakers, academics, activists and political leaders, often impacting shifts in policy, setting national agendas and defining conversations.
Trained in evidence-based journalism, our reporters and editors use peer-reviewed journal studies and reliable statistics to support the narratives in our stories. As a donor-funded journalism centre, we also host media trainings for journalists, civil society, activists, scientists, academics and policymakers.
We’re looking for a new addition to join our growing team. This person should be comfortable working behind the scenes. This involves helping reporters do their jobs by sorting out the admin side of their lives, compiling data for donor progress reports, tracking impact and helping to raise Bhekisisa’s profile.
This candidate ideally has a postgraduate degree in international or media development or a social science degree and should be keen to gain a better understanding of international and local donors as well as project management work within the sector. The position is based in our Johannesburg office. This position will report to Bhekisisa’s programme manager.
- Handle day-to-day administrative duties including but not limited to staff travel arrangements, service provider payments and liaison, logistics for Bhekisisa in-person events, webinars and trainings;
- Help compile narrative progress and impact reports for donors and assure that this is done in a timely manner as per grant cycles;
- Produce Bhekisisa weekly and monthly newsletters;
- Manage and implement information systems;
- Manage the tracking of Bhekisisa impact;
- Manage the Bhekisisa Twitter account and assist with social media duties as assigned;
- Monitor and manage website and online data;
- Develop and maintain a detailed understanding of how Bhekisisa works and contribute alongside team members to the organisation’s growth;
- Build strong working relationships with Bhekisisa service providers and contractors;
- Other duties are required.
- A post-graduate qualification in international or media development studies or a related field; or a degree in journalism, marketing or communications;
- Two to five years experience in a nonprofit office environment;
- A familiarity with the nonprofit environment and regulations governing it is highly desirable;
- Experience with email campaigns, including MailChimp — an added advantage would be proven ability with the design of social media infographics;
- Excellent computer skills including Word and Excel; database and online content experience management systems is an advantage;
- Understanding of how to build relationships with partners, local stakeholders and communities of interest, both on and offline;
- Proven ability to communicate effectively with donors, stakeholders and staff;
- Ability to work on multiple projects at the same time;
- Ability to work independently and also as part of a team;
- Excellent writing and language skills, including spelling and grammar, and attention to detail;
- Willingness to work outside of working hours should this be needed;
- A high degree of professionalism and maturity;
- Ability to prioritse tasks in a high-energy, fast-paced environment.
To apply, please email the following materials to Bhekisisa’s HR department: ([email protected]) with the subject line “Application for Programme Associate”.
1. Updated CV with three contactable references.
2. A one-page cover letter detailing why you would like to work at Bhekisisa specifically. Cover letters of successful candidates will demonstrate an understanding of Bhekisisa’s unique brand of solutions-based, narrative journalism and analysis.
- Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Short-listed candidates will be required to take a written test prior to being interviewed.
Application deadline: 10pm, 22 January 2023