- There’s a new vaccine plant in Cape Town, funded by billionaire Patrick Soon-Shiong. By 2025, the facility plans to make a billion doses of COVID vaccine each year.
- Soon-Shiong will donate R3-billion to South Africa to fund the ‘tech transfer’ that will be necessary to make new technology such as mRNA on local soil.
- Think of technology transfer like you’re assembling furniture. It includes all the tools, pieces and instructions you’ll need to get the job done.
- Read the full article here.
- Read the full script here.
Adèle Sulcas writes about global health and food systems, and worked previously at the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, TB and Malaria, and the World Health Organization. She is former editor of the Global Fund Observer.
Linda Pretorius is Bhekisisa’s content editor. She has a PhD in biosystems from the University of Pretoria has been working as a science writer, editor and proofreader in the book industry and for academic journals over the past 15 years. At Bhekisisa she helps authors to shape and develop their stories to pack a punch.