These terms and conditions outline the rules and regulations for the use of content from the products or services on any of the online Platforms of Bhekisisa Development Media NPC (trade name, Bhekisisa Centre for Health Journalism). This includes the Website, located at Bhekisisa.org; newsletters; other content the organisation delivers via email; social media pages; and any other technologies or service that you may use to interact with us (collectively, the “Sites”).
Content refers to any information, data, stories, files, text, music, sound, videos, photographs, images, graphics, software, messages, hyperlinks, tags or comments and any other material that appears on our Sites. The Bhekisisa Centre for Health Journalism is referred to below as “Bhekisisa”, “we”, “us” or “our”.
By accessing this Website, you accept all these terms and conditions (collectively, “Terms”) stated on this page. Should you not agree to these terms and conditions, you should not continue to use the Website. For any products and services across our Sites that may have additional terms and conditions that are specific to those products and services, you agree to be bound by those additional Terms.
You are advised to review our terms and conditions periodically for any changes. Changes to our Terms are effective when they are posted on this page and may be made at any time without notice. By continuing to make use of our Sites after any changes to our Terms, you agree to be bound by such changes.
It is a condition of the use of the Website that you expressly agree that use of the Website is reasonably at your own risk.
The Content on our Platforms is not archived, but remains on our Sites in perpetuity. For this reason, some Content may be out of date. In this regard, we make no commitment to update such Content.
You are expressly and emphatically restricted from all of the following:
- publishing any Bhekisisa.org Website material in any media;
- selling, sublicensing and/or otherwise commercializing any Website material;
- publicly performing and/or showing any Website material;
- using this Website in any way that is, or may be, damaging to this Website;
- using this Website in any way that impacts user access to this Website;
- using this Website contrary to applicable laws and regulations, or in a way that causes, or may cause, harm to the Website, or to any person or business entity;
- engaging in any data mining, data harvesting, data extracting or any other similar activity in relation to this Website, or while using this Website;
- using this Website to engage in any advertising or marketing.
Unless otherwise stated, Bhekisisa and/or its licensors own the copyright (and all other intellectual property rights) to all material on Bhekisisa.org and to all content published across our Sites. All intellectual property rights are reserved. You may access content from Bhekisisa.org and across our Sites for educational, research, non-commercial, personal or private use only, subject to restrictions set in these terms and conditions, and as provided for under South African copyright law.
You may not, unless with Bhekisisa’s express prior written permission:
- Republish or copy material from any of our Sites;
- Reproduce, duplicate, modify, or upload material from any of our Sites;
- Create derivative works from across any of our Sites;
- Redistribute content from any of our Sites;
- Transfer or store any data that resides or is exchanged on our Sites that will be used by more than one user;
- Frame or mirror any content from across any of our Sites;
- Remove any legal notices (copyright, trademark or other proprietary rights notices) in or on content across our Sites.
Use of Content across our Sites, which includes, but is not limited to, branded graphics and images, may be used, provided that Bhekisisa is credited as the creator of the content – even if the data comes from a Third Party and is credited as such by us.
You may not, under any circumstances:
- Sell, rent or sub-license any material from across any of our Sites.
Access to Bhekisisa sites
Access to our Sites (including Bhekisisa.org) is provided free of charge, solely for educational, research, non-commercial, personal or private use. Access to our newsletters is on a subscription basis. You can subscribe here: http://bit.ly/BhekisisaSubscribe
Should you wish to republish any of the content on our Website, you may email your request to Dylan, Bhekisisa’s production manager, at [email protected], who will provide you with our guidelines and tracking code, which we use to measure the impact of our stories. By republishing any of the stories on our Website, you agree periodically to share online reach metrics for our stories.
Submission of content for publication
We do not accept uncommissioned pieces or articles that describe what organisations do. We only produce copy for Bhekisisa.
We specialise in solutions journalism, which critically evaluates a tried-out solution to a specific problem by using a combination of the experience of a project and peer reviewed research.
Our opinion pieces go through an extensive editing process to ensure that they are packaged in the most impactful format possible. For this reason, we are unable to accept all pitches — we accept about a third of them. Whether a pitch is accepted or not, depends on how applicable it is to our audience, whether we’ve already published similar articles and how well the pitch fits into solutions-based journalism.
You can find our submission guidelines here.
We do not publish links to external articles based on requests by email or any other medium regarding alternative links in our published Content.
Copyright and intellectual property
In cases where we publish commissioned pieces, the following will apply:
- The copyright in the Content you provide (pre-publication by Bhekisisa) shall be owned by you;
- Once the Content has been published by Bhekisisa, Bhekisisa owns the copyright. You grant Bhekisisa a non-exclusive, royalty free, worldwide perpetual licence to use such Intellectual Property (and, if the Intellectual Property consists of works in respect of which copyright subsists, to exercise the Rights of Copyright in relation to such Intellectual Property) and to sub-licence it;
- Content on our Sites remains there indefinitely and forms part of our archives. Content provided by you therefore cannot be removed after it has been published on any of our Sites;
- The copyright in the Content as published by Bhekisisa shall be owned by Bhekisisa;
- You warrant that all Content has been created by you and that any work done by you for Bhekisisa will not infringe any intellectual property rights of Third Parties. If you use the intellectual property of any other party in the course of delivering Content to us, you will ensure that you have the necessary consent/licence to do so, and indemnify Bhekisisa against any claim from the owner of the intellectual property;
- You warrant that all Content provided by you is true, accurate and complete.
Third party content
Our Sites may include, from time to time, content or advertisements from third parties and/or may point to external hyperlinks to websites that contain their own content (referred to as, “Third Party Content”).
By visiting our Sites, you acknowledge that the Third Party services and content:
- is beyond Bhekisisa’s control and that any reliance on any representation, statement or information contained in any Third Party Content is at your risk;
- will be governed by that third parties’ terms and conditions and that Bhekisisa cannot provide any warranties in respect of the Third Party’s Content and will not be liable for any failings in respect of the same;
- cannot be verified by Bhekisisa, and that Bhekisisa cannot be expected to determine its accuracy or reasonableness;
- may contain representations, statements or information that does not represent the views, opinions or beliefs of Bhekisisa, its directors or employees.
When you subscribe to our newsletter you agree to the following:
- Two to three times a week, at 5:30am SAST, Bhekisisa will send you an email with our top story, introduced by one of our staff members. We will also tell you what else we are working on, what we are reading or if we saw something interesting on social media.
- We will periodically send you one or two emails about our upcoming webinars or events.
Each of our newsletters has an option to Unsubscribe, which you may choose to do at any time.
Availability of our Sites
We strive to ensure that our online Platforms are available 24 hours a day. However, we shall not be liable if, for any reason, our Platforms are unavailable at any time/for any period. Possible causes for the temporary suspension of access to our online Platforms and without notice include, but are not limited to:
- Website server issues emanating from our Internet Service Provider (ISP) that may cause Website outages;
- Server backups and server maintenance tasks.
We strive to ensure that the Content provided across our Sites is correct. However, Content across our Sites is provided with limited warranties of any kind to the accuracy of such Content. Without limiting the generality of this clause, the following warranties are expressly excluded:
- compatibility of the Website with your technology, equipment or software;
- uninterrupted or error-free functionality of the Website;
- non-infringement of any rights.
The services across our Sites are provided “as is,” with all faults, and Bhekisisa makes no express or implied representations or warranties, of any kind related to its Sites or the materials contained on its Sites. Additionally, nothing contained on our Sites shall be construed as providing consult or advice to you.
Limitation of Liability
By accessing and browsing our Sites you accept that no liability will lie against Bhekisisa Development Media NPC for any damages caused to you by the malicious interference with the operation of our Sites and/or any destructive data or code that may be communicated to computers or information systems used by you as a result of your access and browsing of our Sites, if the occurrence of such damages can be attributed to any circumstances beyond Bhekisisa’s reasonable control.
Insofar as our Sites contain links to any other internet websites, you acknowledge and agree that Bhekisisa does not have control over any such websites, and shall therefore not be liable for the contents of any such linked website, nor for any costs, expenses, losses or damages of any nature whatsoever arising from your access and/or use of any such website, if the inaccuracy, unreliability, incompleteness or incorrect timelines were beyond their reasonable knowledge and control.
In no event shall the Bhekisisa Centre for Health Journalism, its employees, directors and/or any third party contributors of material to our Sites be liable for any costs, expenses, losses and damages arising out of or connected with your use of our Sites, your inability to use our Sites and/or the operational failure of our Sites.
You indemnify the Bhekisisa Centre for Health Journalism and its directors, employees, officials, agents, suppliers or representatives and keep them fully indemnified from, and against, any loss or damage suffered or liability incurred by you, or in respect of, any third party, which arises out of or is in any way related to your breach of any of the provisions of these Terms.
You will be entirely responsible for any resulting damage to software or computer systems and/or any resulting loss of data caused as a result of any use of our Sites, unless such damages and or resulting loss of data and can be contributed to any circumstances within our reasonable control.
The Bhekisisa Centre for Health Journalism has no editorial control over the submission of Content (including comments on videos posted on our online Platforms and comments on articles posted on our social media Platforms). For this reason, we cannot be held liable for any content that is illegal or unconstitutional (which may include, but is not limited to, content that is defamatory or harmful).
Variation of terms
The Bhekisisa Centre for Health Journalism is permitted to revise these Terms at any time as it sees fit, and by using our Sites you are expected to review such Terms on a regular basis to ensure you understand all terms and conditions governing use of our Sites.